This is a collaborative wiki, so please, if you want to contribute send an email to Alberto Uriarte (admin[at]starcraftai.com) with your desired username. Public registration is disabled to avoid spam bots and vandalism.
- BWAPI is a free and open source C++ framework that is used to interact with the popular Real Time Strategy (RTS) game Starcraft: Broodwar.
- BWTA2 is a terrain analyzer library.
- BWSAL2 is a project that aims to develop several add-ons.
- SparCraft is an open source StarCraft combat simulation package.
- StarCraft AI Tournament Manager.
Using other programming languages
- Java: BWMirror, JNIBWAPI
- GOAL. An AI language on top of BWAPI, under development by University of Delft, Netherlands.
- Python: CyBW
- SSCAIT Tournament Watcher.
- BWDI. Another StarCraft Broodwar interface. Unfinished but with interesting ideas.
- Migration scripts for converting BWAPI 3 source to BWAPI 4 source
- Replay watching enhancement.
- BWAPI and BWMirror (Java)
- BWAPI Tutorial (C++)
- How to debug a BWAPI AIModule with Visual Studio
- BWAPI Filters
- Getting Started with BWTA2
- Increasing StarCraft Speed
- Multiple instances of StarCraft or how to run multiple bots in the same computer
- Improving mineral gathering rate in Brood War
- For development
- For running BWAPI Bots on non-development machines (e.g Tournaments clients) you only need the VC 2013 Redistributable Package
Currently there are 61 bots listed.
Various venues host remote competitive AI competitions that allow developers from around the world to participate. These venues are often held annually and will sometimes offer prizes to the winners. It is also a great way to test your bot's capabilities.
- SSCAIT: Student StarCraft AI Tournament (games played and streamed all the time, finals take place in Winter)
- AIIDE: AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment (part of the program of annual research conference, takes place in Summer)
- CIG: IEEE Conference on Computational Intelligence and Games (part of the program of annual research conference, takes place in Summer)
- BWAPI Bots Ladder (games played all the time)
- BWAPI mini tournament on iCCup's server with a mix of human and bot players.
StarCraft: Brood War's Mechanics
- Chance to Hit
- Unit Existence/Creation
- Unit Behaviour
- Frame Rate
- Abilities and Bullets
- How does regeneration work?
- How much damage an attack will do to a unit?
- Tricks, Glitches and Exploits
- Attack Animation Frame Data
- Exactly how do the custom AI scripts work?
- How does default pathfinding work?
- Basics of UMS Mapping
- Guide Map Making
- CHK Format
- Unused Unprotector 2 StarCraft Tool and the source code.
- Scmdraft map editor. Under downloads, you will obtain version 0.8.0, but this is not the latest version. Instead, you will want to look at the news page and get ScmDraft 2 (0.8.1), located in the
- Unfortunately, the author did not update the version number in the build, so it incorrectly says 0.8.0, making things quite confusing. You will need this if you want to be able to create Extended Unit Death (EUD) triggers (the
Memorycondition will be enabled when creating a trigger).
- The downside of using EUDs is that the memory offsets change with every version of StarCraft; I doubt that will be a problem these days though.
- EUD Database, with EUDTrig to find unit offsets. With EUDTrig, you need to copy comctl32.ocx (alternate location) into the current directory. You need ArtMoney for monitoring the process and finding the hex values in the first place. Then, see this exported wiki article.
- Staredit Network's Wiki, and the StarEdit forums. Be sure to change the theme after login, as I find the default one annoying.
- You have 256 switches that you can use to set/reset game state. Death counters are an alternative, and they trigger at a rate of 1 death count = 84 milliseconds.
- Only Players 1 through 8 can own triggers. Neutral (Player 12) cannot, and such triggers will be ignored.
- How to make 4 players share minerals + gas. Lousy resource, but hard to find anything on this.
- It looks like a lot of the good EUD's are patched. EUDEnable. This post clears up exactly what is being read (4 bytes at a time). Many of the tutorials simply assume that all other bytes are 0, which is often incorrect.
- Using Death Count Timers instead of waiting.
- How damage works, such as for burning buildings.
- And overview of working with MPQ archives. Use MPQDraft to patch MPQ files. For reading and editing the contents, use MPQ Editor.
- StarEdit FAQ. StarCraft Mapmaker's Guide.
- StarCraft unit sizes. You can use DatEdit (
StarEdittab) to get the Placement box in pixels. The pixels for a Terran Dropship, for example, are height 37 and width 49. Since
scmdraftis zero indexed, be sure to enter your locations for
rightas one less than what it actually is. In this example,
bottomwould be 36 and
rightwould be 48.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Some unsorted references before organize everything
- Brood War AI Project v3.1
- BroodWar unit images as transparent PNGs
- Funny videos